General Skilled Migration Points Test
The points test is a mechanism used to help select skilled migrants who offer the best in terms of economic benefit to Australia. The points test creates a selection process that is transparent and objective, awarding points to the skills and attributes considered to be in need in Australia. The 1 July 2011 points test is designed to select the best and brightest skilled migrants who will make the optimum economic contribution to Australia. It does not give undue weight to any one factor and recognises a broader range of skills and attributes, focussing on:
- better English levels
- more extensive skilled employment
- higher level qualifications obtained in Australia and overseas
- better targeted age ranges
Points will no longer be awarded for specific occupations, although all applicants must still nominate an occupation on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL) and have their skills assessed in their nominated occupation.
The pass mark is the total amount of points needed to be eligible for grant of a visa and will be set at 65 points. A table summarising the points awarded can be found at the end of this fact sheet. The points test only applies to applicants for the following visas:
- Subclass 489 Skilled Regional Sponsored
- Subclass 189 Skilled Independent
- Subclass 190 Skilled Sponsored
- Subclass 487 Skilled Regional Sponsored
- Subclass 885 Skilled Independent
- Subclass 886 Skilled Sponsored
Information about eligibility requirements
To apply for one of the above visas, applicants need to satisfy the following threshold requirements:
- be under 50 years of age at the time of applying for a visa.
- meet the threshold English language requirement of competent English.
- nominate and hold a skilled assessment for an occupation on the Skilled Occupation List at the time of lodging their application.
- provide evidence of recent skilled employment in a skilled occupation or have recently completed the Australian Study requirement.
New Points Test
Below is a summary of points awarded for each requirement.
* or equivalent standard in a specified test
Competent English - IELTS 6*
Proficient English - IELTS 7*
Superior English - IELTS 8*
Australian or overseas skilled employment in nominated occupation or a closely related occupation undertaken in the past 10 years
Note: Maximum points that can be awarded for any combination of Australian or overseas skilled employment is 20 points
One year in Australia
Three years in Australia
Five years in Australia
Eight years in Australia
Three years overseas
Five years overseas
Eight years overseas
|Qualifications (Australian or recognised overseas)|
Australian Diploma or trade qualification or other qualification recognised by a relevant Assessing Authority
At least a Bachelor degree
|Australian study requirement||Minimum two years full-time (Australian study requirement)|
|Study in a regional area||Must meet the Australian Study Requirement while studying in a regional area|
|Professional Year||Completion of a recognised Professional Year|
|Credentialed Community language||NAATI accreditation|
|Partner skills||Primary applicants partner meets threshold requirements for skilled migration visa|
|Nomination by state/territory government (subclass 190)||Nomination by a state or territory government under a state migration plan|
|Designated area sponsorship or nominated by state/territory government||Sponsorship by an eligible relative living in a designated area or nomination by a state or territory government under a state migration plan|